Wednesday, March 31, 2010

23 Things: Comedy show


I am crossing things off of my list left and right! I guess that's a good thing. So this past Monday my friend Tristen and myself went to a comedy show, my first! The comedian we went to see is actually a political commenter and radio host named, Karel. I've been listening to him on the radio for about a month or two and was interested to see his live show. So at the last minute I purchased two tickets and we hopped on the BART train and it dropped us off about two blocks from the hotel where the show was.

I was expecting a sort of indie, underground type of club sitting in a small hotel. That wasn't at all what The Rrazz Room in Hotel Nikko was. It was plush, rich, had a Starbucks inside, and was filled with business people over the age of 40. We were most definitely the youngest people there by an average of 15 years. We first checked in and then were seated on the left side of the room in an booth seat in the upper corner with a tiny round table in front of us. It was kind of nice because no one could block our view of the stage. The waitress then came around and told us there was a two drink minimum. I went sober route and just got Diet Coke, because nothing else really sounded good and it was cheaper at $4 a glass than a $12 martini that has a much higher chance of tasting watered down and poorly mixed. Plus Diet Coke = 0 calories!


The show started around 8pm and was hilarious! He covered a range of topics from Bravo! TV programing, health care, pot legalization, Republicans, gays and technology. There were a few times I almost couldn't come up for air I was laughing so hard. Tristen seemed to enjoy herself too. I'm glad she did because she doesn't listen to Karel on the radio the way I do so I am glad she enjoyed the show. We were the youngest there, although 15 minutes into Karel's act, a boy came and sat down next to me. He had to be in his early to mid twenties and was cute, alone and at a liberal comedy show. Right up my alley. I wish I had a bit more confidence because I should have said something to him.

The show was only supposed to be 90 minutes but it lasted until a bit after 10pm and ended with Karel leading a group sing-a-long with legalize pot song he wrote to the theme of The Beatles' Come Together. After the show we went back to BART and went home. It was a great first comedy show experience and I would love to start going to more. It's really fun to go some place knowing you are going there to just to laugh and smile the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment